The number "1144" in white ink appears on verso.
"The bank was established as a result of Iran's agreement with Julius De Reuter in 1889. The building in this picture was replaced by the new structure in Square of Canons in 1889. Though the bank operated inside Iran, it was under the British rules and regulations. Until 1894, the bank was the sole authority for publishing money notes in Iran." Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives, Curatorial Research Assistant, Shabnam Rahimi-Golkhandan.